The rules of being human
We’re all human. We all have something to offer and something to lose. The more we own every one of the beautiful, messy, confusing, rich, unlikeable, warm and wonderful moments that life brings us the most fulfilled we will be. Acknowledging some of the following rules might bring you clarity in your own life.
- You will receive one body. You may love it or hate it, but it will be yours for the duration of your life. There is only one body like yours on the entire planet – and you own it – so that makes it a pretty precious commodity. Look after it and get to know it well. Above all else, love it.
- You will be presented with lessons. You are enrolled in a full-time informal school called ‘life.’ Each day, you will have the opportunity to learn lessons and there will be bumps in the road. But, however, big that bump might be, there is always smooth ground on the other side and that is how you will learn valuable lessons.
- There are no mistakes, only lessons. Growth is a process of experimentation, a series of trials, errors, and occasional victories. Part of being human is our right to get it wrong sometimes. It’s normal, it’s important and it’s part of growing up and becoming a better version of ourselves. Own your mistakes and honour the lessons.
- There is no better time than the present. We can only change our future by what we do right now.
- You won’t like everyone and not everyone will like you. So save your time and energy for the ones that do. Save your time and energy for the people you care about and who care about you back. The others will surely get over your indifference and lack of attention.
- If you can’t stop thinking about it; then do it. You have a dream, a project an idea…go for it. Stop thinking about what there is to lose (there’ll probably be plenty), and start thinking about what there is to gain. When you’re doing the right thing, you’ll have passion, energy, creativity and resources that you never imagined.
- Some days, the best you’ll be able to do is breathe. And that’s okay. Who hasn’t had one of these days... Know that it’s okay to fall down, fall apart and feel like you can’t get up. Stay there for a little while – it’s healing and important. Just don’t decide to live there.
- Everything you need is in you. Everything we need to survive life and reach your goals is in you. Sometimes it’s layered under lessons, rules and bad experiences. Take a fresh look at things. If something isn’t working for you anymore, get rid of it and follow your instincts.
Things won’t always work out the way we want them to but when they do, the risk will always be worth it. A lot of life is missed from the sidelines, waiting for the right time, the right opportunity, the right moment, the right person. Be daring and be brave. Connect, grow, love, be loved, take chances, take a stand, and fully live this life of yours.